1-star review:
Meet Jisha Slyker, otherwise known as Fae Sol, as she and her family are assassinated both in VR and in real life. However, thanks to Deus Ex Machina, Fae Sol was time-traveled back to the past with all of the experience and knowledge that she gained in her first life. Watch as our MC uses everything in her repertoire to grow more powerful than the first time and change the future for the better.
Before even getting into the characters, world-building, or unique events, I'm met with two fundamental problems: set-up and pacing. My one complaint with the two beginning chapters is that the author doesn't go into much detail about why Fae Sol needed to play in the VRMMO better; I need something better than just a three-sentence explanation about how the VRMMO affected society in reality deeply. How did the game affect society that much? Maybe it's explained later in the novel, but as a beginner reader, I need something more to immerse and convince myself to read further.
The pacing (or focus) after the start is, in my opinion, not very good. I'm reading the MC take one action in a fight scene, and then a 3-5 sentence explanation about the viability of said action. Then the MC takes another action and enemies react, which is followed up with a 12-sentence explanation of the enemies' analysis of the MC, etc. If that wasn't enough, there are approximately six chapters that repeat the same events we read through in one chapter, but in another perspective. It's thanks to this 'tell rather than show' philosophy that I found myself frequently losing focus in these chapters.
There may be some interesting world-building details, unique character moments with Fae Sol planned in future chapters or even fantastic game classes that capitalize on good skills creating synergy with each other. However, the author's habit of focusing too much on small details or other uninteresting characters takes away Fae Sol's (the MC herself) time in the spotlight and prevents me from reading any further.
Counter-argument: I acknowledge that the frequent insertion of information is what some people prefer; some readers desire to have a lot of details given to them no matter the duration of any scene. I personally don't like this style of this info delivery and just prefer to read this info during the set-up of each scene. If you don't mind this dispatch method of info, then give this novel a try (at least for a few chapters)
My response:
> I need something better than just a three-sentence explanation about how the VRMMO affected society in reality deeply.
There used to be no explanation at all, so at least that problem is solved. Kek. Anyway, maybe a few more sentences regarding this issue in ch1 "Born Again" is warranted (as far as Jisha's knowledge goes). However, much more of the reason is "deep world" related and I cannot reveal in the first chapter. Much of it also goes beyond the scope of Jisha's knowledge (as seen in chapter 30, aka second whitespace chapter). All in all, this is quite a valid complaint and I will consider making changes.
> I'm reading the MC take one action in a fight scene, and then a 3-5 sentence explanation about the viability of said action.
This, as a criticism, hit where it hurts. As a massive fan of The King's Avatar (read the whole novels twice over), I was always enamored by the nuance and amount of detail provided in every fight.
In my opinion, this is how good "systematic" fights are written (systematic vs ideological fights post is separate; link). The only other way to write a systematic fight is whoever "punches harder" or has a higher power level. Though it can be entertaining once in a while, it's not exactly a showcase of the intelligence of the players. You apparently dislike deus ex machina (who doesn't?) so I find the complaints about explanations odd. And yes, if you're curious, there is a "deep world" explanation for Jisha's regression. How can a typical regression novel have a reason for existing? I thought they were just supposed to be carbon copies of each other?
But maybe I need to think of my audience when I write these things. Am I appealing to 'big brain' or 'small brain' reader? With the regression and lack of explanation in the beginning, I am appealing to the 'small brain' reader. However, in the 1v7, I am appealing to the 'big brain' reader. This inconsistency in tone may be driving people off.
Anyway, about every move that is explained and analyzed etc... In my opinion, moves that players make in games are meant to be analyzed. In a competitive game, moves and actions have purpose. A move made without any purpose is a move wasted. The player that makes more thoughtful moves is the more skilled one (usually, will elaborate on this some other time).
In my opinion, what makes the 1v7 so great is that the toolset is extremely limited, yet the more skilled player was able to maximize everything, plus more, to her advantage. Mechanics, terrain, exploits. You name it, it was considered and utilized. In the analogy I made in the non-canon chapter, it's as if a (Michelin) starred chef were competing against a complete amateur on who can cook the better piece of butter on toast. Though the starred chef is more likely to win, the toolset is so limited that if the amateur is completely lucky, he could pull off a miracle.
Obviously, a fight at level 0 is much more complicated than spreading some butter on toast. However, the analogy stands. The toolset will broaden as the novel progresses, and players must learn how to use the larger variety of abilities, items, etc. to their optimum. A strategic fight like this one may not happen again for a while, as much as it pains me to admit.
On top of this, the skill level differences are shown in the amount of mistakes made by the players. Where Jisha (arguably) made 1 mistake, Bren made several. This will be covered in the battle footage review scene in a future volume (Jisha wants Bren to join the Sun Dragons if he wants a full VOD review of the battle).
> If that wasn't enough, there are approximately six chapters that repeat the same events we read through in one chapter, but in another perspective.
When I read this sentence, it's obvious that you didn't actually read the fight. Think about this like a chess game. Before making a move, options have to be considered. When the opponent makes a move, you need to think about the implication of the move and how it will affect your future moves. Your plans may have been altered as a result of your opponent's move. And in the worst case scenario, an unexpected turn occurs for the worst; an option that you didn't consider manifests before your eyes.
Using Jisha's game knowledge from the future, I was able to create scenarios where she made unexpected moves that (almost) always placed her at an advantage. Due to the Brent Clan's lack of game experience, these unexpected moves came one after another. Each unexpected move brings about a new consideration of how the game system works. Yes, *new* consideration. Each new move is unique and forces the Clan to think about the game in ways they hadn't previously considered. And in the end, they couldn't keep up with Jisha (obviously) thus meeting their demise.
The reasons I mentioned above are why I think 1v7 Domination is currently my magnum opus. It will be a long time before I can write a fight as good as this again. In that fight, each move only has 1 purpose. Can I write a fight where every move has a purpose, and some moves may even have 2 or 3 hidden stratagems? I can only dream. In the meantime, power level will dictate the outcome. But I will strive to find a new, unique twist that Jisha can exploit in upcoming fights.
Comments
Post a Comment