Chopin Op 10 No 1 "Waterfall"

 This piece is very difficult. When I first started learning it, though, it didn't seem like it. It only took me about a week to learn the notes. But the challenge began when gradually raising the tempo. This challenge came in the form of stress in the right hand.


First was the pinky. Most of the accented notes are played with it, so after practicing it for a bit, my pinky kind if developed a new callous. Then it was no longer an issue.


Then was the wrist. This is still a problem for me even now. Practicing this piece gave my right wrist severe pain for about a week when it first hit. Since then, it's never completely gone away. I can't practice the piece too much because of this problem. If I do, the wrist pain flares up again.


On top of all this, the piece is difficult to play note-perfect at tempo due to unusual hand positions in the arpeggios.


And finally, almost as if it were a final boss, is the endurance required to play the piece. At first, I couldn't even get halfway before needing to take a break. Even now, in this recording, I feel very fatigued in the reprise.


I started learning this piece last October, so I've been practicing it for about 5 months now. And it still sounds like this. It seems like I need to practice it more to improve it, but I won't be practicing this piece in the near future again.


My main hobby is competitive golf which also requires lots of action in the right wrist. If my wrist is injured, I won't be able to play. This is the reason for me uploading this recording today. Even though it's a mediocre performance, I wanted to save a checkpoint on my progress, so to speak.


It's scary to think that this piece could take years to perfect... And even then, who knows if I can even play this?

Comments