RGSG Gaiden 1 - The Four Fools Wander Into Covan

 "What are you doing?? It's just a slime!"


"Haha... I'm so sorry~"


A group of 4 players had stupidly left their starting hamlet with no extra items. And in this moment, they were fending off mobs and trying to find their way to a safe zone!


"XiNala, no... Dude, what do I even call you?" Ivonna asked.


"Whatever you want~!"


"..."


"It's useless trying to reason with him..." Muyonnu said as she took out the nearest slime with her Melee Starter Stick.


"Why did we come out this far, anyway? We nearly died and now we're lost," Yaele complained.


"Tch... You wanna try leading?" Ivonna retorted.


"Maybe if you keep messing us up more. I might be more competent than you," Yaele fired back.


"Okay, then why are you a melee unit? Don't you see our group's a little unbalanced?" she asked.


"Uh..."


Yaele looked at his four party members; three of them were melee and one was ranged. As much as he didn't want to admit it, it was his fault for unbalancing the party. Ivonna had urged him to play a ranged character, but Yaele was too stubborn. Of course, he didn't want to admit this...


"It'll work out," he said.


"Ugh..." Ivonna groaned as she rubbed her forehead. "Why don't you try to find our way back? We can't have gone too far. Or is that too hard for you?"


"Fine, I'll take the lead. Follow me!" Yaele excitedly said.


Ivonna didn't want to admit she was also lost, so she found a perfect opportunity to hand off leadership to this crazy guy.


But at the end of the day, all 4 of these players were a little crazy in some way.


Ivonna, Yaele, Muyonnu, XiNalaSlave77. These were the players that had attempted to follow Jisha into the forest out of the Uval Hamlet. They had lost her within several minutes and spent several more trying to find her... only to realize they had veered off course and were lost themselves!


As Level 0 players with 10 HP, all four of them had nearly died. However, miraculously (if you could call it that), they survived one hour in the wilderness and were full healed upon leveling up. Now, with 100 HP, it became a bit difficult to die to low-level mobs. However, if they kept at it, they would eventually still end up biting the dust since they had no recovery items and were lost in the middle of nowhere...


"Ah! I remember this tree! We came from this way!" Yaele confidently said.


"Um... I think all of these trees look the same..." Muyonnu quietly responded.


"Hmph. If he's so confident, why don't we just listen to him?" Ivonna said. She was willing to take the risk of getting more lost if it meant Yaele were to humiliate himself!


"Yes, yes. This is the way. Follow me!"


Ivonna turned around to look at XiNalaSlave, who was just staring at a tree.


"... Dude, we're leaving. Come on."


"Yes, ma'am!"


"..."


And the four of them set off in an arbitrary direction.


---


"Huh?? I was sure it was this way!"


After several minutes of roaming, nothing had changed.


"Haha, now we're really lost. Thanks to your genius ability to walk in a dizzying pattern, you have even confused my highly capable directional senses..." Ivonna shook her head helplessly.


"... You were also lost, weren't you?"


"..."


"Um... So what do we do now..." Muyonnu timidly asked.


"Why don't we all just fight to the death?" XiNalaSlave asked.


""Huh?""


This was an absurd suggestion. Nobody was on board with this!


"Well, we're lost anyway. Might as well die and respawn, right?"


"..."


When the group considered it, it made a little sense. It was indeed the quickest way of getting back to a Safe Zone. However, it meant losing XP, items, and money. The speedy trip wasn't free!


"Hm... How about we just follow Yaele?" Ivonna suggested. She felt like freeloading a little longer.


"I agree... I think... PvP should be our last resort," Muyonnu acquiesced.


"Ugh. You know what? Yeah. I will get us there safely!" Yaele confidently said.


"And where is 'there'? Hm?" Ivonna smugly asked.


"You got us lost in the first place and aren't willing to take responsibility for it. Now you're asking me where I'm going? You don't even deserve to know! If anyone has a better idea, why don't you take the lead?"


"..."


Of course, nobody spoke up.


"Alright, then. Let's go!"


The four of them continued to wander aimlessly.


*>Name: Young Clay Doll*


*>Name: Small Lesser Mayfly*


*>Name: Stick Figure*


...


*>+2 Copper*


*>+1 Copper*


*>+1 Copper*


...


They stumbled upon various mobs and effortlessly took them out...


*-2*


"Dude, you actually got hit by that? Noob," Yaele said.


"Yeah? I wanna see you try fighting me!" XiNalaSlave retorted.


... if "effortlessly" meant little damage taken.


These two tried to nitpick each others' wrongdoings at every turn.


"That is clearly the direction we came from, idiot."


"Ok, you wanna take the lead?"


"I would, but I don't tell women what to do!"


"You are actually an insane person. This is a "role playing game", but your role is melee, not a cuck!"


"Are you forgetting I'm the one who offered to kick your ass?"


Ivonna giggled at the two guys' antics, and Muyonnu could only sigh.


And so they continued to wander.


*>+2 Copper*


*>+3 Copper*


*>+2 Copper*


*>Level Up!*


...


They had leveled up and their Coin Pouches weren't lacking for money anymore, but they had nowhere to save or spend it.


"Hey, remember when *that player* told us to buy a map? You think this was what she was talking about?"


"..."


In the beginning, none of them had considered buying an item that didn't pad stats. However, they were beginning to regret it...


"Ahhh! I'm so done. I think we should take up XiNala on his offer," Muyonnu complained.


"Absolutely not-! I mean, just 5 more minutes! We just leveled up, too. It would be a waste..."


"Brother, I think we've all had enough at this point," XiNalaSlave shook his head as he put a hand on Yaele's shoulder.


Yaele wasn't sure whether this was consolation or mockery. Just as he was about to retort, Ivonna spoke up.


"Wait, Yaele, we might actually be on the right track. I'm pretty sure the average level of these monsters has gone up... maybe."


"Um... Isn't that a bad thing? It means we're getting farther away from Uval," Muyonnu asked.


"Yeah, but we might be getting closer to another settlement."


"Wait, don't tell me we're gonna arrive straight at Covan? Isn't Shock Collar running rampant there?" Yaele questioned.


"Yeah, but it's better we go there than try to find our way back to Uval at this point. We're probably closer to there. And how long is Shock Collar gonna guard the place anyway? They have to level up, too. They can't just stay there all day to block entrances."


"I fully agree," XiNalaSlave acknowledged.


"Look, man do you ever not agree with them?" Yaele asked.


"Hm... Well if it *that player* were in command, I don't think I'd ever listen to anyone else again... hehehe..."


This earned a hearty slap from Muyonnu.


"Slave, shut up. Listen to Ivonna."


"Okay~"


Ivonna couldn't care less about XiNala's antics. As strange as he was, he followed orders and was a competent player. As a leader, there wasn't anything better she could ask for.


"Alright, follow me. I think if we go this way, we should reach Covan..."


"I hope you're wrong."


---


"Huh?"


Yaele couldn't believe his eyes.


After several minutes with Ivonna taking the lead, they stumbled upon a small settlement. This settlement had a small bank, several shops, and even an auction house. In other words, they were in Covan.


"What???"


He couldn't believe that Ivonna had actually led them here.


"You got lucky! It's luck!"


"Nope, I told you I'm a genius when it comes to directions!"


Ivonna was just as surprised as Yaele when the Covan Hamlet appeared within their sights. She couldn't help but wonder if she truly was a genius.


"Finally... Let's sell our stuff and upgrade our weapons?" Muyonnu suggested.


"Hm... I think we should wait a bit. We're almost level 5 after all," Ivonna said.


This was a logical suggestion. Since the four of them were "grinding" mobs in the forest until now (since they didn't have a choice), all four of them had reached 90% of level 4. In other words, it wouldn't take them long to upgrade to their second class and get a new weapon for free.


"In that case, let's have a feast!" XiNalaSlave suggested.


"Um, that sounds nice..." Muyonnu agreed.


"Hmm... How much money do you guys have?" Ivonna asked.


"102 Copper," Yaele said.


"99 Copper," Muyonnu said.


"117 Copper," XiNalaSlave said.


"What? You bastard, how are you richer than me? I definitely killed more mobs than you!"


"I killed better ones, that's why!"


"Bullsh*t, there's no way they give that much more!"


"Okay, ladies, calm down. Anyway, I've got 105. Unfortunately, I don't think we have enough to buy food and useful level 5 items. Let's just check out the area for now, heal up, and grind for 5," Ivonna said.


"Mmm... those Cinnamon Buns were so good... Hopefully there's something else like that here..." Muyonnu wistfully said.


"Huh? Mu, didn't you hear what I just said?"


"Ah! Who's that guy? He looks familiar."


"Guys..."


Ivonna struggled to keep control of this rowdy bunch. Sometimes she felt like a mother with 3 young kids...


"No, I'm being serious. I swear I've seen that guy."


When Yaele wouldn't shut up about "that guy", Ivonna had to take a look as well. And when she did, she couldn't help being surprised. After all, "that guy" was someone Ivonna had reported to in the past.


"... Why's he here?"


She started walking towards him.


"Huh? You know him?"


"I'm surprised you didn't recognize him. Look closer. At his nametag."


"Brookie. What? *That* Brookie?"


"I'm just as confused as you are. Which is why we're going to talk to him."


Ivonna's group had a valid reason to be confused. After all, when they were in Uval, they had received reports about Shock Collar running rampant in Covan, effectively driving Brookie out of the place. Yet he was here and chatting with players as if nothing had happened.


"Brookie!" Ivonna called out to him.


The burly man turned to look at the person who called his name. And when he saw who it was, he gave a bright smile.


"Well if it isn't the four... or three fools! What are you guys up to?"


"Haah? Four fools? Us? Wait, three? What?"


Ivonna looked around her only to find XiNala had disappeared off to who knew where.


"Ugh... Well, he can wait. Brookie, what are you doing here? Also, why are we the four fools?"


"I'm buying Starter weapons. You got any?" he said, completely ignoring the second question.


"What?"


If they weren't confused yet, the four - or three - were thoroughly confused now. What value did Starter weapons have?


"Yea, pretty good value on 'em, too. If there's still four of you, I'll give you 4 Bronzium for all your Starter items. As long as you haven't upgraded them, of course."


Yaele's eyes almost popped out when he heard this. Ivonna was also confused. It sounded too good to be true. The four of them had spent about 3 hours wandering around to only gather around 400 Copper between the four of them. Yet Brookie said he'd give them 400 Coppers' equivalent to simply give him trash items.


"This... isn't a scam, right?" he asked. He had to be sure. "I could definitely buy a better weapon with that much cash."


"Haha," Brookie laughed as he shook his head. "It's not a scam. Trust me, I don't understand *why* I'm doing this, exactly. But I'll give you the money fair and square."


"What do you mean you don't know why?" Ivonna asked. But her question was immediately answered in possibly the worst way.


"Um... Did you guys get this?" Muyonnu asked.


"... Yeah," Yaele said.


"..."


Of course, Ivonna had also received the message.


*>Stein: Brookie is AWOL. If any of you have visual, report his location immediately. Permission granted to engage at will.*


Ivonna's complexion darkened when she saw this. Just what had he done? Brookie was someone she looked up to due to his strength and leadership capabilities, yet Stein was ousting him just like this...


"What did you do?" Ivonna asked. "We just got a message from Stein."


"Haha, it's a bit strange, isn't it? I left Asunder."


""... Huh?"" All three of them simultaneously exclaimed.


Brookie? Leave Asunder? It seemed nonsensical!


Brookie sighed. "I figured that would be your reaction. But I'm following someone else now. And you four - or, three - should know of a strong player that you met recently, right? And to answer your questions, Ivonna, *that player* is the reason I'm here. She is the reason Shock Collar's been driven out. And she's the reason I have a nonsensical amount of money to spend. So what'll it be? This is a generous offer for you. 4 Bronzium for all of your Starter items."


Ivonna was a bit conflicted when she heard Brookie's spiel. But if what he said was true, it made sense for him to leave Asunder. After all, he was notoriously loyal to strength. And Stein, as an 4th degree black belt in VMA, was undoubtedly strong. But the strength *that player* had shown was beyond that.


For Ivonna, it was impossible to tell *how* much more skilled *that player* was. After all, two mountains were equally unscaleable for an ant, even if one was twice as tall. But she trusted Brookie's judgement. At the end of the day, he was still loyal to his ideals, and Ivonna didn't have a problem with that.


"... Sure. 4 Bronzium for all of our Starter items," she said. It truly was a good deal.


"No," Brookie said.


"What do you mean 'no'?"


"Where's the fourth guy? I keep forgetting his name. Deal only applies if all 4 of you hand over the items."


"Ugh, that guy...!"


*>Ivonna: XiNala, where the hell are you? You saw where we walked to. Meet us in the commons! Now!*


*>XiNalaSlave77: ...*


*>Ivonna: What? You know I can see that, right?*


*>XiNalaSlave77: ...*


*>Ivonna: Respond properly, idiot...*


*>XiNalaSlave77: ...*


"Oh my goddddd..." Ivonna was going to have a stroke if she had to deal with any more nonsense. "The two of you split up and find him! He can't have gone far!"


"Yeah. You're right. He's right here," Yaele said.


"What?"


The three of the looked into the water fountain that was in the middle of the Hamlet. Sure enough, he was at the very bottom of the small pool...


Muyonnu dragged him out and slapped him a couple of times.


"Ugh... You moron, we're about to get paid and you're taking a swim?"


"Nah, I was just pretending to get asphyxiated. For some reason, you can breathe underwater... Maybe cuz it's a safe zone? Who knows~"


"..."


"Right, he was like this... Well have a good day, guys," Brookie said.


"Nooooo Brookie, I want Cinnamon Buns, please pay meeeee..." Muyonnu desperately clung onto Brookie's leg as he started to walk away.


Brookie sighed. "Haha I wasn't actually going to ditch you. Are all the items in order? Ivonna, let's trade."


"Yes, sir."


*>+4 Bronzium*


*>-3 Melee Starter Stick*


*>-13 Ranged Starter Pellet*


Ivonna's eyes widened when the money entered her Coin Pouch.


"Is it done? Let me see!" Yaele frantically said.


"Um... Me too!" Muyonnu exclaimed.


"Haha... I'm really trying to not say something creepy right now..."


"You've already failed."


Ivonna shared a snapshot of her Coin Pouch and distributed 1 Bronzium fairly among everyone in the group.


"Well, I guess now we have enough for a feast and better items, huh?" she said.


"Yes! Let's go! I'm gonna hit 5 first!" Yaele excitedly said.


"I'm... Gonna go find something sweet to eat," Muyonnu said.


"Me too!" XiNalaSlave said.


The three of them split up immediately, leaving Ivonna and Brookie to their own devices.


"..."


And for a bit, neither of them spoke to each other.


"You really think it's the right decision?" Ivonna broke the silence first. She was the only one of the four who knew Brookie's situation in real life and couldn't help being concerned.


"... It'll be a bit risky in the short term, but in the long run, it's the best decision I can make. If you were stronger, you'd understand that *that player* is in a different league. Frankly, I don't understand how it's possible..."


"Huh. I wish I were stronger, then. Because I don't really understand."


"Keep working hard, little Ivy. You have a bright future ahead of you. In the meantime, I think I'm gonna solo grind."


"Huh. Yeah, you are a bit behind," Ivonna said as she looked at Brookie's level 2 avatar.


"Well, if you're ever curious, I'm sure the Sun Dragons will have a spot available to you in the future. I'll put in a good recommendation. Don't slack off!"


"Yeah. I won't."


With a wave, Brookie walked off.


Ivonna watched as he walked into the frontier shop and eventually wandered into the frontier alone.


"Be safe, Brooks. Now I wonder where those three went off to..."


As much as she wanted to be concerned about Brookie's safety, her three rowdy "children" came first.


"... Maybe I should grab something sweet to eat, too."


Prev | Next | Next Gaiden

Comments