How I think fights should ideally be written

 If you haven't seen my post about systematic and ideological battles, I recommend you read that one as well since these topics are closely related.

In my opinion, in a fight, whether systematic or ideological, every move should be written with a purpose in mind. Each move is a stratagem and/or a consequence of a previous action.

Because of this, the WORST way to write a fight is with power levels. Player A has a 100 power level and Player B has a 150 power level. Therefore, Player B can punch harder than Player A and wins 100% of the time.

There is no substance here, but it's the easiest way. This is probably why authors default to it.

This is also why I love death game manga such as Liar Game and Tomodachi Game. Intelligence of characters can be shown by the moves they take and the author's creativity is put to the test. These are the types of stories I strive to be able to write one day.

Comments