A Wild Last Boss Appeared has entered my top 5 isekai

 What is the definition of "isekai"?

"Other world".

Now, what's special about this other world? Why is it an other world? Why is it not our own world? What makes it different from ours?

What is the truth of the world?

These are the questions I love to ask while reading an isekai. And "A Wild Last Boss Appeared!" encapsulates this to a tee.

It starts off like an ordinary "game-world" isekai. MC gets transported into their game character in the game world. However, like Overlord, this is not the game world, but its own world entirely.

Last Boss has you questioning what is happening in this world at every step of Lufas' (MC) journey. What's going on? Who really are these people that are close to us?

Every volume is well paced. Each volume gives you another question to chew on or reveals another "truth of the world".

Standard isekai tropes are either subverted or taken to its next logical step.

"Hero summoning". "Demon lord". These are the two main tropes that are explored in detail, and the way Firehead uses them is clever indeed.

The ending is a satisfying one as well and leaves nothing to be desired. It's an open and shut case with no loose ends (that I found on my first read). When it opens, it leaves you with questions. You can ask yourself these questions while reading and try to figure it out yourself, and at the end, eventually, everything is explained.

I highly recommend this isekai to anyone who is at least somewhat familiar with isekai tropes. It's got meta commentary that takes these things to the next step in the evolution of isekai.


Rating - A+


--- Mild spoilers below ---

Honestly, with how much I enjoyed it, I really wanted to put it in S. But there are some glaring flaws that I cannot overlook.

The author's lack of knowledge of space and physics marred my suspension of disbelief in a few fights. This doesn't seem like a big problem, but not only were some fights solvable with some relatively simple tactics, but it became a bit disorienting when fights reached cosmic scale.

The author also tends to repeat himself a lot. I love explanations of things that happen in fights and why they happen. As someone who enjoys competitive gaming, I understand that every move made in a game should have a purpose and consequences. These explanations during the fights are pretty solid.

But outside of fights, the author occasionally repeats descriptions one too many times. I also love descriptions, but using different words to say the same thing is pretty mind-numbing.

Overlooking these flaws though... This is definitely my favorite isekai of the modern era.

Comments